From the mountain to the valley

As you all know from my last post I passed my big bad Krav test and life was feeling pretty good. I came back from L.A. and was tired for a good week. I returned to Krav for to take a kickboxing class and to teach a class on a Friday session. I could tell I was still tired but my energy was slowly returning. Two weeks ago on a Sunday, Phil came over and we were excited to go to Best Buy to take advantage of their video game deal. We were picking up Borderlands for the Xbox 360 (a game I highly recommend to anyone). It was a grey Sunday, perfect for staying in and playing games. We returned home from Best Buy with our newly acquired game and as I stepped out of Phil’s car I nearly collapsed to the ground. Not because I tripped or because someone yelled ‘duck’ but because the second I stepped out my back completely tweaked out. I went from whistling “oh what a beautiful morning” to wincing and writhing in pain, unable to move.


Phil thought I was faking and offered no sympathy, he thought I just didn’t want to hang out with him and play the game. I quickly took two Aleve and some pain killers. The drugs took a slight edge off the pain but for the next four hours I was feeling a mix of fun and misery.


I’ve tweaked my back before, but this seemed extra painful, and I had less mobility then ever before. Sunday was fairly miserable but I was hoping a good night of sleep would help relax my back. When I woke up on Monday morning I thought I was feeling better but that was before I tried to move. It became apparent that I was in worse pain and I knew I was in trouble when it took me 20 minutes just to get out of bed. At one point I had rolled off the bed onto the floor face down, unable to move. I felt like a cripple or 90-year-old man.


I was glad HES pushed me to go to urgent care to get some drugs. I’m not a big fan of taking drugs (blame my parents for raising me to endure/embrace the pain) but I had, had enough. And after spewing forth enough colorful words that would make a sailor blush I knew it was time. Urgent care was boring and long but in the end it was worth it sine I was prescribed some nice muscle relaxers and vicodin for the pain.


It wasn’t until 3 days after injuring my back that I went to the chiro. He took one look at me and said I most definitely had a herniated disc. L Not good. It has taken almost two weeks of treatment but I am finally starting to feel normal again. According to the Doc this is the time I have to be the most careful and not over do it. It’s frustrating to be so lazy, especially since I am now able to teach Krav, but instead I’m laid up.


Perhaps the most frustrating and confusing thing about this whole ordeal is that I did it while innocently stepping out of a car! I didn’t hurt it when I was climbing and crawling my way up the Krav mountain in L.A. nor when I was atop the nasty beast and piercing it’s flesh with my fists of ass kickery. I’m glad that my back held strong in L.A. but it makes no sense to freak out when I’m getting out of the car…anyways on the road to recovery!



  1. mego said,

    November 8, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

    that stinks- but at least you’re feeling better. take it easy, and keep playing those video games ;)

  2. Anthony B. said,

    November 10, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

    OMG dude…
    I cant believe I dint read about this before I came over the other night.
    I could have been nicer and not so jerkish..
    Please forgive and let me know when we can hang out again.
    Peace, and we outta here…

    __We are the Knights who say Ni__

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment